Monday, February 14, 2011

Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog


The Big Chill (1983)
Dir - Lawrence Kasdan

This is one of those films I would see on the shelves of video stores for years. I passed it while working there, or just browsing, even the soundtrack popped out at me all the time. When I was younger my parents one time referred to Three Dog Night's "Joy to the World" as The Big Chill song. For whatever reason I never watched the movie but finally decided it was time. I'm very glad that I waited so long to see it, because if I had viewed it while in high school I probably would not have enjoyed it at all. Not that I wouldn't have recognized good writing and filmmaking but it's not really possible for a teenager to relate to a group of thirty-somethings. Still, I can't completely immerse myself in this world because I didn't live during that renaissance vibe of the 60s, but I have more of an understanding of life at 31 then I did at 17.

This ensemble cast (including Tom Berenger, Kevin Kline, Glenn Close, Meg Tilly and Jeff Goldblum) is incredible and listening to these old friends cope with the death of another and talk about their very different lives is quite interesting. Not much really happens or gets resolved but it paints a wonderful picture of an adult dealing with the course of their life, for better or worse, and confronting the ghost of their past selves.

1 comment:

  1. I first saw this film upon it's home video release circa early '84. For me, it was great to experience a film with my parents that they identified with and enjoyed immensely. A perfect example of my liking a "grown-up drama" as a kid and growing into it, over the years, with a renewed sense of appreciation. I'll forever be grateful to Lawrence Kasdan for initiating my Meg Tilly crush and kick-starting my Jeff Goldblum fandom. This film is definitely one of my favorites.

    Also, I always thought it would there should have been a crossover spin-off buddy cop series featuring J.T. Lancer and T.J. Lazer... "Lazer & Lancer." Money + Bank.

    ReplyDelete