Saturday, April 9, 2011

Stop the Violence


The Interrupters (2011)
Dir - Steve James
DIFF

My last film of DIFF 2011. I'd be sadder but I'm so elated that I don't have to see the damn pre-show reel again that it's almost unbearable.

This is my first Steve James film. No, I've never seen Hoop Dreams. I don't care for sports so watching a documentary all about basketball never really sounded appealing. However, I will definitely be checking out more of his work after seeing this wonderful documentary. It runs around two-and-a-half hours but never gets boring. Very serious and heartbreaking, though there are a few moments of laughter which is good when you are surrounded by such sadness. These people in the Ceasefire program are doing a good thing and really putting their necks on the line to try and stop the violence in Chicago. A great tale that I hope millions get to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment