Monday, January 17, 2011

It's Time for the Thrash Bash


Thrashin' (1986)
Dir - David Winters
Destroy All Movies!!!

This is one of those movies I watched upon its initial release in the 80s and will probably continue to watch until I'm old and gray. How could you get tired of Josh Brolin in a "star-crossed lovers" tale set in the mid-80s LA skate scene? It was super cool when I was seven, when I started to "seriously" skate in middle/high school I laughed at it (but secretly still loved every minute) and now I have a huge heaping helping of nostalgia for this silly, fun little film.

If you haven't seen it you're missing out on some pretty cool skating, quite a few montages, decent soundtrack and an appearance by Red Hot Chili Peppers when they were still cool and mostly unknown to the world outside of California. They really don't make movies like this anymore. You can't replicate what you see in this film. Purely magical.

Someday I'll get my wish and present a double bill show of this and Rad to a crowd in 35mm. I have a dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment